CareerCast has ranked the most and least stressful careers of 2015. According to Forbes this list has been developed by 2 researchers from the University of Wisconsin since 1995. Working under the supervision of career book author Les Krantz, They have created a methodology of coming up with this list. They base their research off of 11 different stress factors. They rate each stress factor as follows:
- Travel, amount of 0-10
- Growth Potential (income divided by 100)
- Deadlines 0-9
- Working in the public eye 0-5
- Competitiveness 0-15
- Physical demands (stoop, climb, etc.) 0-14
- Environmental conditions 0-13
- Hazards encountered 0-5
- Own life at risk 0-8
- Life of another at risk 0-10
- Meeting the public 0-8
CareerCast says, “The amount of stress a worker experiences can be predicted, in part, by looking at the typical demands and crises inherent in his or her job.” So without further ado, here are the top 10 most stressful jobs of 2015:
10. Newspaper Reporter
Being a Newspaper Reporter can sometimes put you in precarious spots and with the shrinking newsrooms chance of being laid off can be high.
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 48.76
- Median Annual Salary: $37,090
- Projected Growth by 2022: -13%
CareerCast said, “Have you ever seen a breathtaking photo in your newspaper or online and wondered how it was captured? Thank a photojournalist who risks his or her safety to capture important moments in news and history, preserving them forever.”
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 49.22
- Median Annual Salary: $42,530
- Projected Growth by 2022: 3%
8. Event Coordinator
Event Coordinators are deadline driven. They need to be detail oriented or everything can fall apart. If the event if not ready or one detail is not in order potentially thousands of people can be upset at you.
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 49.93
- Median Annual Salary: $45,810
- Projected Growth by 2022: 33%
Broadcasters have to work within the public eye. One slip of a word or misinterpreted sentence can land you in a heap of trouble & controversy.
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 50.30
- Median Annual Salary: $60,070
- Projected Growth by 2022: 2%
“Struggling Artist” is a very well known term for good reason. You may be the best at your craft and yet it may be hard to find gigs. Even as a full time actor between auditions and playing in roles day in and day out can be taxing.
- Jobs Rated Stress: 50.33
- Median Annual Salary: $46,070
- Projected Growth by 2022: 4%
5. Police Officer
2015 is the year to not be a police officer. The Police have received a bad wrap this year and it is not easy for them. They are required to protect their community which entails putting their lives at risk, and they have to make tough choices that can put other’s lives at risk too.
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 50.82
- Median Annual Salary: $56,980
- Projected Growth by 2022: 5%
4. Airline Pilot
Being a pilot means long hours, many times being at the whim of your employer (pretty much being on-call) and being in charge of potentially thousands of lives at a monthly basis.
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 60.46
- Median Annual Salary: $98,410
- Projected Growth by 2022: -1%
3. Military General
Military Generals are the most senior position and come with extreme responsibility and stress. They are overseers of crucial operations. They are in charge of the very lives of those below them and lives of those in our country and others.
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 63.11
- Median Annual Salary: $196,300
- Projected Growth by 2022: N/A
2. Enlisted Military Personnel
Being shot at, yelled at, and protecting our country as well as others abroad makes for a stressful job.
- Jobs Rated Stress Score: 70.78
- Median Annual Salary: $28,840
- Projected Growth by 2022: N/A
With a Jobs Rated Stress Score of 71.59 they obtained the most stressful job title. They risk their own lives and have to save others in the process. They are in the public’s eye and have an urgent time table to do it by!
- Median Annual Salary: $45,000
- Projected growth by 2022: 7%
So what do you think of the list of “The Most Stressful Jobs of 2015” published by CareerCast? Do you agree with these being the highest stressful jobs?
Hope you enjoyed this list!